- Day 1
- Readings, hymns and prayers
Readings, songs, hymns and prayers for worship in the home
- Connecting with God
Connecting with God at Home – low-tech suggestions:
- Read that book about faith you’ve never had time to get to.
- Pick a Bible passage. Read it slowly, noticing what jumps out at you. Read it again, ask the Holy Spirit to show you something that speaks into to your life right now. Read it a third time, and find something that prompts you to pray – for yourself, for someone else or our world.
- Create something. Write a poem, draw a picture, sew, paint, plant something. Doesn’t matter if it’s a masterpiece or not. Give thanks to Creator God for the good things we have.
- Make a list of things to be thankful for and spend a bit of time daily reflecting on some of them.
- Got a prayer-book gathering dust somewhere? Dig it out and re-discover it.
- Play worship music. Sing along.
- If you play an instrument, play that.
- Family isolating together? How about introducing a short family prayer or Bible time daily? Get creative, make it fun.
- On your own? Ring a friend and commit to praying for 5 minutes together every day on the phone, or praying separately but at the same time of day.
- Do not fear
I am writing this with a heavy heart. The fact that we cannot meet together in worship is really hard and sad but that does not mean that we ourselves have to stop worshipping and praying.
Many of you will have received a Sunday service sheet and a morning prayer sheet to help you with your time with God. I would like to encourage you to try it out if you have never done that sort of thing before. He is longing for your company… we all need that reminder from time to time!!
I will post more things on the website as we go on. Today I would like to suggest that you watch this video on Youtube. It is probably a different approach to the gospel than you would have heard before but it is a good and challenging one that builds on what we have been learning in our services this year.
I will continue to look for other resources which you might find helpful. As we have heard tonight, all churches must now close but as the bible tells us, church is not a building but the people of God so let us keep in contact with one another by whatever means we have available to us.
Please do not hesitate to contact me for prayer, questions, help…. We are setting up a telephone rota across the benefice for those who are self isolating to be contacted every day by someone.
Please let me know who you might want to put on the list.
My email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
PS: Did you know that the Bible’s most often repeated command is “Do not fear”. At this time, please try and put fear aside so you can do as Paul says:
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” ~ Philippians 4:6-7